Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi commonly known as Mahatma Gandhi, Bapu and Gandhiji was one of the most prominent leaders of the Indian Independence movement. Born 2 October 1869 in a Hindu Merchant caste family in Gujarat. He was the youngest of all children and had three older siblings, 2 brothers, and one sister. According to his sister from the very young age, he was a free spirited child that either played or roamed around. Every body knows that he followed truth and Nonviolence and the reason for that was the impression of Harishchandra on him. He believed that he should act like Harishchandra and always stand by the truth. Since he was the most educated among his siblings all of his family members believed that he would succeed his father and become a Diwan. He then went to London so he could qualify and achieve diwan-ship.
Most Beautiful Mahatma Gandhi Quotes
Famous Quotes of Mahatma Gandhi
- Where there is love there is life. – Mahatma Gandhi
- The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong. – Mahatma Gandhi
- First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. – Mahatma Gandhi
- You must be the change you wish to see in the world. – Mahatma Gandhi
- Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. – Mahatma Gandhi
- Prayer is the key of the morning and the bolt of the evening. – Mahatma Gandhi
- The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others. – Mahatma Gandhi
- When I admire the wonders of a sunset or the beauty of the moon, my soul expands in the worship of the creator.
- Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony. – Mahatma Gandhi
- An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind. – Mahatma Gandhi
- Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. – Mahatma Gandhi
- A nation’s culture resides in the hearts and in the soul of its people. – Mahatma Gandhi
- You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.
- Nobody can hurt me without my permission. – Mahatma Gandhi
- Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment, full effort is full victory. – Mahatma Gandhi
- It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of gold and silver. – Mahatma Gandhi
- In a gentle way, you can shake the world. – Mahatma Gandhi
- Anger and intolerance are the enemies of correct understanding. – Mahatma Gandhi
- There is a sufficiency in the world for man’s need but not for man’s greed. – Mahatma Gandhi
- Action expresses priorities. – Mahatma Gandhi
- The essence of all religions is one. Only their approaches are different. – Mahatma Gandhi
- A man is but the product of his thoughts what he thinks, he becomes. – Mahatma Gandhi
- Anger is the enemy of non-violence and pride is a monster that swallows it up. – Mahatma Gandhi
- The real ornament of woman is her character, her purity. – Mahatma Gandhi
- Truth stands, even if there be no public support. It is self-sustained. – Mahatma Gandhi
- Prayer is not asking. It is a longing of the soul. It is daily admission of one’s weakness. It is better in prayer to have a heart without words than words without a heart.
- I suppose leadership at one time meant muscles; but today it means getting along with people. – Mahatma Gandhi
- Non-violence is the greatest force at the disposal of mankind. It is mightier than the mightiest weapon of destruction devised by the ingenuity of man.
- The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. – Mahatma Gandhi
- In prayer it is better to have a heart without words than words without a heart. – Mahatma Gandhi
- Service which is rendered without joy helps neither the servant nor the served. But all other pleasures and possessions pale into nothingness before service which is rendered in a spirit of joy.
- Morality is the basis of things and truth is the substance of all morality. – Mahatma Gandhi
- An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching. – Mahatma Gandhi
- No culture can live if it attempts to be exclusive. – Mahatma Gandhi
- Power is of two kinds. One is obtained by the fear of punishment and the other by acts of love. Power based on love is a thousand times more effective and permanent then the one derived from fear of punishment.
- If I had no sense of humor, I would long ago have committed suicide.
- My life is my message. – Mahatma Gandhi
- It may be possible to gild pure gold, but who can make his mother more beautiful? – Mahatma Gandhi
- A coward is incapable of exhibiting love; it is the prerogative of the brave. – Mahatma Gandhi
- There is more to life than increasing its speed. – Mahatma Gandhi
- Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth. – Mahatma Gandhi
- You can chain me, you can torture me, you can even destroy this body, but you will never imprison my mind.
- There is a higher court than courts of justice and that is the court of conscience. It supercedes all other courts.
- We may stumble and fall but shall rise again; it should be enough if we did not run away from the battle.
- Glory lies in the attempt to reach one’s goal and not in reaching it. – Mahatma Gandhi
- A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history.
- It is the quality of our work which will please God and not the quantity. – Mahatma Gandhi
- Gentleness, self-sacrifice and generosity are the exclusive possession of no one race or religion. – Mahatma Gandhi
- Peace is its own reward. – Mahatma Gandhi
- Poverty is the worst form of violence. – Mahatma Gandhi
- The good man is the friend of all living things. – Mahatma Gandhi
- Honest disagreement is often a good sign of progress. – Mahatma Gandhi
Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.
If I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning.
Transformation doesn’t just happen. It takes a plan and a support system. This how-to guide is full of the top wisdom, tips, exercises, and success stories to inspire an old dream or create a new one.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth, for being correct, for being you. Never apologize for being correct, or for being years ahead of your time. If you’re right and you know it, speak your mind. Speak your mind. Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is still the truth.
Relationships are based on four principles: respect, understanding, acceptance and appreciation.
Keep your thoughts positive because your thoughts become your words. Keep your words positive because your words become your behavior. Keep your behavior positive because your behavior becomes your habits. Keep your habits positive because your habits become your values. Keep your values positive because your values become your destiny.
A customer is the most important visitor on our premises. He is not dependent on us. We are dependent on him. He is not an interruption in our work. He is the purpose of it. He is not an outsider in our business. He is part of it. We are not doing him a favor by serving him. He is doing us a favor by giving us an opportunity to do so.
When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won.
There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall.. think of it, always.
Power is of two kinds. One is obtained by the fear of punishment and the other by acts of love. Power based on love is a thousand times more effective and permanent then the one derived from fear of punishment.
I am not fighting machinery as such, but the madness of thinking that machinery saves labor. Men save labor until thousands of them are without work and die of hunger on the streets. I want to secure employment and livelihood not only to part of the human race, but for all. I will not have the enrichment of a few at the expense of the community. At present the machine is helping a small minority to live on the exploitation of the masses. The motive force of this minority is not humanity or love of their kind, but greed and avarice.
It’s the action, not the fruit of the action, that’s important. You have to do the right thing. It may not be in your power, may not be in your time, that there’ll be any fruit. But that doesn’t mean you stop doing the right thing. You may never know what results come from your action. But if you do nothing, there will be no result.
Mahatma Gandhi was the tallest leader of the Indian independence movement. He played a crucial role in enabling India to win independence from the British rule. At a time when other nations had launched violent struggles to free themselves from foreign rule, Mahatma Gandhi followed the path of non-violence, ultimately winning the nation independence without shedding a drop of blood. Gandhi became a source for freedom struggle and civil rights movements across the globe. Mahatma Gandhi, who gave up his law practice and joined the freedom movement, is called the Father of the Nation.
Mahatma Gandhi was born today in 1869 in Porbandar, India, and so began a life that would change the history of his country and the world for the better. After studying law, Gandhi famously advocated for the rights of Indians, ultimately becoming “Bapu,” the father of the Indian independence movement. But his non-violent activism reached far beyond his homeland, becoming a global call for the oppressed all over the world to unite and stand up for freedom and justice through peaceful protest.